The re-purposing of pallets as building materials such as in homes and structures.
"More than 600 million pallets were manufactured in the United States in 1998. Approximately 90 percent of those manufactured were wooden pallets while the remaining 10 percent were manufactured from corrugated, metal, or plastic, an estimated 40 percent of the total wooden pallets created are disposed of in landfills while another 10-15 percent are destroyed by individuals.
Urban wood waste is the portion of the wood waste stream that can include sawn lumber, pruned branches, stumps, and whole trees from street and park maintenance. The primary constituents of urban wood waste are used lumber, trim, shipping pallets, trees, branches, and other wood debris from construction and demolition clearing and grubbing activities.
Wood waste is, by far, the largest portion of the waste stream generated from construction and demolition activities."
We offer solid wooden structures created from pallets and clad with the materials of your choice, but we do push for more natural materials such as earthen plasters on both the interior and exterior of the structures.
Pine Ridge, South Dakota Pallet House (click the pic for more info)